Lemon and Za’atar Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 5 Darling Lemons (1 lemon zested and juiced; 4 lemons, halved)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme and more for garnish
- 1 (4.5 to 5-pound) whole chicken
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, zest, garlic, oil, za’atar, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pat chicken dry. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan.
- Coat chicken all over with za’atar blend.
- Tie legs together using butcher’s twine. Tuck in wings. Arrange the remaining lemon halves and shallots cut sides down in the pan surrounding the chicken.
- Roast Chicken for 90 minutes, rotating the pan occasionally. Turn the lemon and shallots occasionally, basting once or twice, and add 1/4 cup water whenever the pan juices dry out. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh thyme. Serve the chicken with the juices, the roasted shallots, and your favorite veggies.
Recipe by: Beyond Sweet & Savory